As I mentioned a couple of weeks ago, I have been knitting some hats at the request of a friend in New Zealand whose breast cancer has, unfortunately, returned.
It was kind of cute: in her email request, she actually offered to PAY me.
My personal knitting is not for sale. I only knit for people I really care about.
It is, in fact, a pretty damned select group. Besides myself and my "work knitting" (samples and designs), my efforts go to:
- HUSBAND – DH has one sweater, one pair of slippers and various pairs of socks.
- RELATIVES – My parents received 1 sweater each. Others I have knit for include a few siblings and siblings-in-law; a couple of nieces; and our former housekeeper and babysitter, who was the closest thing to a grandma I ever had.
- FRIENDS – Among friends, there was the trio of EZ's "Best Baby Sweater" for Jeanine's triplets (!); some felted toys for dogs and cats; and a couple of truly heroic efforts for Abby and Sandi.
- And now, three hats for Kim!
Kim chose three hats off Ravelry that she liked, and here is how they turned out:
#1: The Marley Hat
Kim chose this pattern but it turned out to be a kid's hat! so I had to improvise a bit.
I found this cotton chemo cap pattern from Bernat to use as a base, and went from there. The squiggles on the top are crocheted.
Yarn: YES, I knit something in cotton. I didn't have all that much in terms of cotton leftovers, surprise surprise, so I actually bought a kit that was meant for a little girl's skirt to get a lot of bright fun colors, and added what bits I had that went with it.
Aunt Jean's Invisible Jog saves the day again! Find this fabulous technique by Cindy Sauerwald in Vogue Knitting, S/S ’00 issue, or reprinted in their 25th anniversary book.
#2: The Swirls Cap
This one is also crocheted! Kim really put me through my paces. 🙂
Yarn: I used Berocco "Vintage", and I thought I had the gauge right, but I ended up having to add several rounds to get the appropriate diameter hat. I also had to go back and get a second skein to finish out the brim and the decorative button band, which didn't get done until after the picture was taken.
#3: The Shroom Hat
I think this one came out the best of the bunch! It's the one I recently wrote about where I lucked out on the yarn and the gauge thing. See, it's spring in NZ right now, and Kim wanted the hat to be in a lighter-weight yarn than the super-bulky yarn that was used in the original design.
The pattern calls for a gauge of 10 sts per 4 inches. I used a needle size to give me 20 sts per 4 inches and then just doubled all the appropriate numbers. Kind of a hinky approach, but it worked!
Yarn: The yarn is Malabrigo and it took comfortably less than one skein. Awesome!